We’re now open to Manchester Airport
The RATP Dev team in Manchester successfully delivered the latest extension to the Metrolink network which opened more than 12 months ahead of schedule.
The new 14.5km line to Manchester Airport is the single largest line opening in the history of Metrolink and brings the total size of the network to 92.5km (57.5 miles), serving 92 stops.
This means the Metrolink system is now officially the largest tramway in the UK, transporting more than 80,000 customers per day across the Greater Manchester region.
- 2,472 hours of training so far for drivers on the airport line
- 16 new customer service employees recruited from the local area
- 2 weeks of operator line checks
- 2 weeks shadow running
- 14.5 = total length of the line (in kilometres)
- 59.5 = total length of rail installed (in kilometres)
- 15 = number of stops: Barlow Moor Road, Sale Water Park, Northern Moor, Wythenshawe Park, Moor Road, Baguley, Roundthorn, Martinscroft, Benchill, Crossacres, Wythenshawe Town Centre, Robinswood Road, Peel Hall, Shadowmoss and Manchester Airport
- 300 = number of Park and Ride spaces at Sale Water Park
- 34 = number of ticket vending machines
- 30 = number of customer help points
- 9 = number of trams required for service
- 122 = number of CCTV cameras across the route